It is hard to believe that Dubuque students are starting back to school today. It seems like summer just got into full swing and here we find ourselves already at the beginning of a new school year.
Whether your child is off to their first day of Kindergarten or about to begin their last year of college, a new school year brings many changes for both children and parents alike. If you are like those of us with school age children here at Ludovissy and Associates, a new school year also seems to brings about lots of germs! We all want to keep our kids healthy (and in school, not home sick) so here are some great tips to remember to keep your household healthy this school year!
- Always cover coughs and sneezes. Teach kids to cough or sneeze into the crook of their arm if they don’t have a tissue. This way the germs aren’t on their hands and spread to surfaces and other children.
- Don’t share water bottles or food. Anything that goes in your mouth should not be shared with your friends.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer, especially before eating.
- Play! Exercise is one of the best ways to keep both your body and mind healthy.
- Eat healthy foods. With busy schedules sometimes this is hard to do, try to plan ahead as much as possible to avoid “junk” food.
- Sleep. Nothing prepares a child more to succeed in school than getting a good night’s rest.
It is important not to forget about our children’s mental health, in talking about a new school year. We live in a world where bullying is running rampant. Increased usage of social media means bullying isn’t confined to the school playground.
- Take bullying seriously
- Teach your kids to treat others with respect and kindness
- Learn about your child’s social life, get to know their friends
- Set a good example
- Have open and honest discussions with your children about bullying
Contrary to the old saying words CAN hurt.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use the change the world” – Nelson Mandela
Here is to a great and healthy school year!