We have been so spoiled by the amazing weather, it is hard to believe it is February. Don’t worry, Mother Nature is about to remind us that we still have a bit of waiting to do for spring. Since the weather is reminding us that is in fact February and not May, we thought it was a good time to remind you that February is American Heart Month.
Here are some things to keep in mind about heart disease*:
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women.
- Almost half of all Americans have at least one of the three key risk factors for heart disease: high blood pressure, high cholesterol and smoking.
- In the US someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds.
- Every 60 seconds, someone in the US dies from a heart disease-related event.
- Heart disease causes 1 in 3 women’s deaths each year.
- 90% of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Direct and indirect costs of heart disease total more than $320.1 billion.
Those statistics are just the tip of the iceberg of the information out there, and they are pretty eye opening. So, the big question is, what can you do so you don’t end up as a statistic? Here are some great tips to get heart healthy.
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Weight management
- Stress management
- Quit smoking
Start implementing healthy habits in your life and be a good example for your children or children close to you, so when they are grown these statistics won’t exist for them.
Here is to a healthy and happy future for us all.